Finding Files by Size
To Find Files by Size
Specify what you want to find
- Select Find > Files by Size... or (Alt+I,Z) from the main menu to open the dialog where you can specify exactly which files you want to find.
- If one or more folders are selected they will be automatically entered into the Paths filed of the dialog when it opens
- FileBoss remembers what has been searched in the past even when it has been closed and then started again so you can always select a previous entry using the drop down list.
Click on image for full size view
- Select the drives or paths you want to check. Multiple paths are separated with the semi-colon (;), comma (,) or bar character (|). You can even specify folders to exclude by preceding the name with a minus sign. For complete details right-click the field in the program.
- Then enter the smallest and largest size for which you are looking. The sizes are in bytes but following the number by a K or an M indicates kilobytes and megabytes respectively. Enter Zillions or -1 for unlimited size.
- Click OK to search and create a Virtual Folder of all matching files
Hint: You can limit your search (and thus speed it up and make its results more meaningful) by specifying one or more folders to search instead of just a whole drive and, in the above example, folders to be excluded.
Entering multiple paths and patterns
Both the paths and file patterns fields can accept either simple entries, e.g.
C\Data\My Data and *.bmp or very complex strings that specify not only what to include but also what to exclude from a, most typically, search.
For instance both can specify multiple objects such as
C\Data\My Data ; D:\Backup\MyData
*.bmp ; *.gif ; *.png ; *.jpeg ; *.jpg
For a complete description of these fields either right-click the mouse over the fields for context help from within FileBoss or see Advanced Paths & Patterns.
Displaying the File Sizes in the Contents Window
(If the file sizes are not already displayed in the Contents Window)
- This works the same in both Explore Views and Virtual File Sets.
- Move the mouse over the column headers (the column headers are at the top of the Contents Window and have titles like Filename, Ext and Size.)
- Right-click the to display a list of columns that can be displayed
- Check the boxes next to items you want displayed.
- Click the Close Menu button.
Hint: You can change the order of the columns by clicking a header with the left mouse button and, while holding the mouse button down, dragging the column to its new location.
Sorting by File Size
Click on the Size column header. To reverse the sort click the column header again.