Copying Files with Pauses
and Limiting Copy Speed
What is Time-Controlled Copying (TCC)?
Copying allows you to:
- Insert pauses between one file being copied and another
- Specify a minimum time that FileBoss spends copying a file. If a file takes a shorter time to copy than the minimum time specified FileBoss will insert a pause afterward to make up the difference.
- Insert pauses between batches of files, e.g. pause for ten minutes after every 50,000 files have been copied
Why use insert pauses or limit copying speed?
Better resource management with limiting copy speed
Time-Controlled Copying is most often used when copying a large number of files (or one or more really huge files) to regulate computer and network resources.
Prevent system crashes by pausing between batches of files
TCC is also a must on fast, modern computers when copying hundreds of thousands of files which sometimes will crash Windows. On really fast machines where small files can be copied up to 50,000 a second or more hundreds of thousands of files will cause system failure. These problems can be prevented by either pausing between each file by processing the files in batches with pauses in between.
Quick Start: Inserting pauses between files and limiting speed
Copying files and folders using the Time Controlled Copying routine the same as using the normal Copy To... function with the addition of adding pauses at specific intervals during the copy process.
- Select the files and folders you want to backup to another location
- Select Actions > More Copy Actions > Time Controlled Copying from the main menu to open the associated dialog.
Click image to display Advanced options
Enter the destination folder
- Enter the folder to which you want to copy the files. If you have used the dialog before you can select a previous destination from the drop down list box.
Optionally enter files to be copied (or files not to be copied)
- To copy all files leave the Patterns field blank or enter and asterisk (*).
- To copy only particular files specify one or more file patterns. Separate multiple patterns with semi-colon, comma or bar character ( ; , > ), e.g. *.htm ; *.html ; *.css.
- To prevent certain files from being copied enter their pattern(s) preceding each with a minus sign, e.g. -*.bak ; -*.tmp ; -~*.
- You can even combine files to copy and files to exclude, e.g. *.htm ; *.html ; *.css ; -~* (note that order in which the file patterns are listed is not significant.
- Click the OK button and FileBoss will start the copying and display a progress window.